- the DNS server unavailable A message in Windows 11 may appear if you are having problems with the cache, so make sure you clear it properly.
- Changing your network or server settings can also help resolve this type of problem.
- To resolve these DNS issues, try temporarily disabling your antivirus or restarting your router.
XINSTALL BY CLICKING ON THE DOWNLOAD FILE
For your Windows 11 PC to connect to the internet, several components must be working properly, including your network card and drivers.
However, components like DNS servers are crucial if you want to access any website. Unfortunately, some users receive a repeated message DNS server unavailable messages in Windows 11.
When this problem appears, you cannot access any website, which is why it is important that you fix it as soon as possible.
This error usually occurs due to network hardware issues or incorrect network settings, but it can be easily fixed with our solutions. Just follow them and you will be able to access your favorite websites within minutes.
What is the main function of a DNS server?
A DNS server is a special component that processes your requests and helps you connect to the website you are trying to access.
When you type a website name into your browser, the server looks up its location and sends it to the browser so it can access it.
It works similarly to a large directory since it lets you find the IP address of any website you try to access and helps you connect to it.
If for some reason you are having trouble with this feature, be sure to check out our guide on DNS Server Unreachable.
How does DNS work?
First, you need to type the name of the webpage in the browser and the request is received by the DNS recursive resolver. Then the resolver sends the query to the root name server.
The root server then supplies the address of the top-level domain server to the resolver. Now the resolver sends the request to the top level domain and the server responds with the location of the domain’s nameserver.
The resolver now contacts the nameserver and the website IP address is now returned to the resolver and passed to the web browser.
Finally, the client sends the HTTP request and the server displays the web page.
How can I fix DNS server unavailable error on Windows 11?
1. Use the built-in troubleshooter
- Open the The start menu and choose Settings.
- In the left pane, navigate to System and in the right pane, select Troubleshoot.
- To select Other convenience stores.
- Click it To run button next to Internet convenience store.
- Wait for the troubleshooting process to complete.
- If the problem persists, launch the Network adapter and Incoming connections convenience stores.
If you can’t open the Settings app, just check out our article on what to do if the Settings app crashes for quick fixes.
2. Use the command line
- hurry the Windows Key + X and select Windows terminal (administrator) from the menu.
- Now run the following commands one by one:
3. Change DNS
- Click it To look for icon in the taskbar.
- Enter network connections and select Show network connections.
- Right click on your connection and select Properties.
- To select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.
- Select now Use the following DNS server addresses and set the following:
- Preferred DNS server: 184.108.40.206
- Alternate DNS server: 220.127.116.11
- Click on Okay to save changes.
- Now select Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv4) and change the DNS server as in the previous steps.
If you’re having trouble using the search function, our guide to search bar not working will definitely help, so take a closer look.
4. Restart DNS services
- hurry the Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. hurry Enter or click Okay.
- Locate it DHCP-Client service, right click on it and choose Restart from the menu.
- Now right click DNS Customer Service and choose Restart if available.
5. Disable Proxy
- Open the To run window by pressing the Windows Key + R.
- Type inetcpl.cpl and press Enter.
- Navigate to the Connections tab and click lan settings.
- Uncheck Use a proxy server for your local network and click Okay.
6. Temporarily disable your antivirus
- Locate your antivirus icon in the system tray.
- Right-click on it and choose the option to disable real-time protection.
Once the antivirus software is disabled, check if the issue still occurs. If the problem does not appear, it means that the antivirus configuration is interfering with your network connection, so make sure to adjust it accordingly.
Alternatively, you may want to consider switching to another antivirus compatible with Windows 11. Making an informed choice when it comes to protecting your PC can be difficult given the wide range of options available, so we’re sure you’ll find our top picks. useful.
What is the purpose of changing the DNS server?
By default, your PC uses your ISP’s DNS server which handles all your queries. However, some people tend to use Google’s public server as it is sometimes faster and more secure.
Specifically, if you can’t access a certain website, Google’s server can help you. By making this change, all your requests will be handled by Google and not by your ISP.
What is DNS over HTTPS?
This is a new protocol that should encrypt all your HTTPS requests. Currently, all requests are sent in the clear, allowing your ISP and sometimes hackers to see them.
However, that is about to change with the new protocol. We have a detailed guide on how to use DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11, so be sure to check it out.
the DNS server unavailable message will prevent you from browsing the web, but as you can see, in most cases, you can fix this problem simply by using the command line or changing the required network settings.
The same alert telling you that something is not working properly and you cannot connect to the internet until all issues are resolved also appears in Windows 10. Check out this guide on how to fix DNS server unavailable in Windows 10. this operating system and fix the problem for good.
Did you find a solution to this problem on your own? Let us know in the comments below.
Start a conversation