In recent years, Google and Microsoft have been making huge efforts to improve user privacy, especially after Apple made privacy a selling point. Google brought the ability to change DNS settings system-wide with Android 9, and Microsoft added the option on Windows 10 in 2020. Even Mozilla now enables DNS over HTTPS by default in its web browser. So if you want to protect your privacy on the web, enable DNS over HTTPS on Windows 11. This is a system wide switch, so all communication between your PC and the DNS server will be encrypted. . So, without further ado, let’s see what it is and the steps to activate it.
Enable DNS over HTTPS on Windows 11 (2021)
In this article, we have mentioned the steps to enable DNS over HTTPS (DoH), along with an explanation of what DoH is and why you should enable it on your Windows 11 computer.
What is DNS over HTTPS and why enable it on Windows 11?
If you have no prior knowledge of DNS over HTTPS, there is nothing to worry about. Here we give you a brief explanation about DoH and why you should enable it.
When you visit a website, your computer does not know the domain name (like google.com) of the website. It asks a DNS server using the website domain / IP address (eg – 184.108.40.206 for google.com) and asks it to point to the correct domain name, then fetch the result. This communication between your computer and the DNS server has traditionally remained unencrypted. This is changing now.
To be clear, anything you do on a website, like browse the website or make a transaction, remains encrypted since this is an HTTPS website. This means that no one, not even the ISP, knows what you have been doing on the website. However, DNS queries are largely unencrypted, which means your ISP or anyone on the local network can at least know which website you have visited.
So now, to bring encryption to DNS queries, DNS over HTTPS functionality has been introduced. Basically, even while retrieving the domain name from the DNS server, your requests will be encrypted using the HTTPS protocol.
Additionally, with system-wide DNS over HTTPS, all apps and programs on Windows 11 will also use DoH to communicate with DNS. So not only web browsers, DNS communication on your whole PC will be protected. So, if you want to enable DNS over HTTPS on your Windows 11 PC, follow the steps below.
How to enable DNS over HTTPS under Windows 11[MÃ©thodelaplussimple[EasiestMethod[MÃ©thodelaplussimple[EasiestMethod
1. Open the Settings app and navigate to the “Network and Internetin the left sidebar. Then click on “Wi-Fi” or “Ethernet” depending on your Internet connection in the right pane.
2. Then go to “Material properties“.
3. Here, click on “Edit“next to” DNS server assignment “.
4. From the drop-down menu at the top, choose “Manual“and activate” IPv4 “.
5. In the Preferred and Alternate DNS fields, enter your choice of DNS. You can check out our list of the best DNS servers from the linked article. We use Google’s DNS server, which is
220.127.116.11 and alternative DNS
18.104.22.168. There are also popular alternatives like Cloudflare and OpenDNS to choose from.
6. Finally, to enable DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11, click on the drop-down menu under “Preferred DNS Encryption” and choose the “Encrypted only (DNS over HTTPS)âOption. Follow the same steps for âAlternate DNS Encryptionâ. You don’t have to do anything for IPv6.
7. After that, click on “to safeguardâTo save the changes, and you’re done.
You have successfully enabled DNS over HTTPS on your Windows 11 PC. All communication between your PC and the DNS server will now be encrypted and no one will be able to access your DNS queries.
Secure web communication on Windows 11 with DNS over HTTPS
This is how you can enable DNS over HTTPS on Windows 11 to encrypt DNS queries from your computer. As you may know, web monitoring is increasing day by day and it is absolutely essential that users protect their privacy, especially when it comes to something as basic as a query. DNS. Anyway, it all comes from us. If you are having a network discovery issue in Windows 11, follow our related guide to resolve the issue immediately. And if you have any questions, comment below and let us know.